Thursday, December 23, 2010

More planning & Family arrives

Nov. 17, 2010.  Today we had to get up and get ready to go take care of more business.  It is so hard to plan a funeral for your child.  Yesterday was difficult and tiring.  I told Chad that I wanted to hurry and get finished today and just get home.  I just wanted to be home.  Allen and Pat were still here so they stayed with the kids for us to go finish making arrangements.  We hadn't bought a plot yet at the cemetery so that was the first thing we had to do.

We rode out to the cemetery.  The whole time we were driving, I was just hoping we would never get there.  I dreaded doing what we were about to do.  We arrived and went in.  We went in a small room, sat at a round table and talked with a man about purchasing a plot.  All around the walls of the room were grave markers that you could choose from.  They have names, dates and pictures on them to advertise what they have.  It's so depressing.  The man tells us about the cemetery.  They have different sections from where you can choose your plot.  Each section has it's own name.  We left the room and got in his van and he drove us around the cemetery to look at the different sections so that we could choose what we wanted.   I can't believe I'm having to do this.  It just seems so surreal.  Am I really picking out a cemetery plot for my 16 yr. old son?  How did this happen?  I just wanted to pick out a plot for myself and have them put me in it.

It really didn't take long for us to pick a spot.  One of the sections is called the Garden of the Resurrection.  Once we heard the name, we picked it.  For us, it was perfect.  It's what our hope is in - the Resurrection!  That's the day we're looking forward to.  It's what my favorite verse refers to - 1 Thess. 4:16-17.  So, it was decided.  We went back to the office to do paper work and then we were finished.

Then next on the agenda was to go to the florist and pick out a casket spray.  We arrive, go in and tell the lady what we need.  She showed us a book to look through with pictures of different sprays.  So, we started looking.  I really didn't think this would be hard to do.  It turns out that it wasn't.  There were so many sprays that didn't fit Chandler.  They looked too feminine or delicate.  I mean I'm searching for flowers to put on my 16 yr. old sons casket.  He could care less about flowers.  I continued to look through the book and I soon saw one that would work.  I told Chad, "that's it".  It was fall colors which was perfect because we were in the month of November.  It wasn't feminine looking.  It would be beautiful on the oak casket.  It seemed to fit Chandler.  I didn't think it would look out of the ordinary for him.  So, we finished up business there and finally were able to go home.

We got home and soon after that my family arrived.  They had been traveling from Alabama since yesterday.  They drove half way, got some rest and finished the trip today.  It was so good to see them.  My daddy, mama, granny, sister and brother-n-law were finally here and I was so happy to see them.  I just hated that I was seeing them under these circumstances.  We all hugged and cried for a while.  Then we spent the rest of the day together right here at the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment