Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gifts & Cemetery visit

Nov. 19, 2010.  Today, we just planned to stay home.  Frank & Crissy are still here and will be here with us until tomorrow as well as my family.  Although my sister Brandi and my brother-n-law, Scott have to travel back home today.

My family arrived at our house this morning.  They have been staying at a hotel.  Scott and Brandi drove up and visited a while before they had to leave.  They also brought gifts for the kids.  My kids are so blessed to have Uncle Scott and Aunt Brandi.  They are always so good to them.  Whenever we go to Alabama, Uncle Scott always make it a point to take Chandler, Caleb and their cousin Cade on some kind of fun outing; bowling, a movie, eat hot wings, go to a baseball game, etc.  They always have the best time.   He always does something for the little ones too:  Corben, Carlie, Connor and Claire Michael.  (Yes, they all have "C" names).  Now, they are all 6 yrs. and younger so he hasn't taken them on an outing yet.  But, he will bring them some special treat or order pizza, ride them around the neighborhood on the golf cart and just play with them outside.  He's so good to all of them.  Now, don't get me wrong, it's not about the gifts that make the kids love him so much.  It's the fact that he gets on their level and spends time with them.  He's like a big kid himself.  He loves to have fun and that's why they all love him so much.  Well, on this particular day, Uncle Scott and Aunt Brandi had something special for each of them.  They gave Corben a nice remote control 4 wheel drive truck.  Carlie got a Barbie with accessories and clothes that you can decorate.  Caleb got a gift card.  From what I hear, Scott did the shopping.  He actually picked out the Barbie for Carlie and he did a great job.  The kids were so excited.  Thank you Scott and Brandi.  I know the gifts don't take the pain away but they are a nice distraction for a little while.

Another gift that we received today was not expected at all.  Life Net (the people that handled the organ donation) gave us a gift.  It was cement in the shape of a heart and it had Chandler's hand print in it.  I just cried when I saw it.  What a gift to treasure.  As soon as I saw it, I placed my hand in Chandler's hand print.   I love the gift!

In the afternoon, Chad took me and my family to the cemetery.  We wanted to pick some flowers to keep and to just be there. We just stood there a while.  We picked flowers off of the arrangements and then we just cried together.  I said "I shouldn't have to be standing over my son's grave".  It is still so hard to comprehend all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment