Friday, January 14, 2011

My Son, the Hero - "Chanman"

We arrived home today to find a package at the door.  It was from LifeNet.  They handle organ donation.  Chandler donated his organs and this package had information about his organs and the recipients.  I have always been a proud mom.  I have 4 wonderful children who make me proud every single day.  I've never been more proud than I am today.

It was bittersweet to read through the information.  It was sad because it took my son's life to save these people.  But, it was a happy moment because of the wonderful gift that Chandler gave the recipients.  Here is a little bit of information about Chandler's gifts:

Both of Chandler's kidneys were recovered and transplanted.  Chandler's right kidney went to a 31 year-old gentlemen from Virginia.  The kidney function is reported good since the transplant. 

Chandler's left kidney went to an 18 year-old student.  The kidney function is reported good since the transplant.

Chandler's liver was transplanted into a 57 year-old gentlemen from Virginia.  He is the father of 5.  The transplant center reports that his new liver is functioning great since the transplant.

Both of Chandler's lungs were able to be transplanted into a 55 year-old woman.  She is married and has 2 daughters.  The transplant center reports that her lung function is good.

The next one is very emotional for us.  We couldn't read it without tears.

Chandler's heart has saved the life of a critically-ill 11 year-old child.  She is a student and enjoys singing.  The transplant center reports that her new heart function is good.

I'm so thankful that Chandler was able to save these people and especially the little girl.  She's young and his heart will keep beating for many years to come.  I hope one day that we'll be able to meet these recipients.  If that can't be done, I do hope that we can be in touch with them and get to know them a little bit.  I want so badly to meet the 11 year old girl and hug her and place my hand on her/Chandler's heart and feel it beating. 


January 15, 2010.  It's the next day.  I didn't sleep well at all last night.  I just couldn't get my mind to stop thinking.  Yesterday was just an overwhelming day and I couldn't relax.  While I was laying in bed at one point something crossed my mind that I really wanted to write about before I forgot.  It took everything in me to keep myself in bed because I wanted to get up and write it right then.

I kept thinking of Chandler's organs being donated and what a hero he is.  Then I remembered something.  Just like Superman and Spiderman have their Superhero names, Chandler has had a Superhero name since birth.  We just haven't known until now what his super power was.  When Chandler was born, his Aunt Brandi (my sister) immediately gave him a nickname, "Chanman".  We've called him that for 16 years.  He even used it as his signature when he would send texts on his phone.  I got to thinking about that name what a perfect "superhero" name it is.  It would just take 16 years to realize that the power he had would be to save 5 lives with his organs.  I just laid there in bed thinking about that and how perfect that nickname fit him.  A superhero name for the heroic act he would make 16 years later. 

Chanman, I love you so much and you are truly my Superhero!!!

I also wanted to mention the medal in the above picture that we received.   There is inspiration and meaning for the design.  It reads as follows:

The Gift of Life Donor touches and gives new life to others.  The donor touches the hand of the recipient, and passes on the precious gift of life (the heart) and love (the rose).  This magnificent and honorable giving of oneself is illustrated in the rays extending from the heart.  

We have been so touched by the information and gifts we have received from LifeNet.  We are going to have a shadowbox made to display all of Chandler's organ donation certificates, medals, etc. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. We are really touched. Thank you for giving the gift of life. My mother received a kidney 20 years ago. Without it, she would not have know any of my children. You are all heros.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mom still sheds tears with you...tears of joy as I read this blog. He helped save five other lives. Such a difficult decision to make at the time, but God knew and He comforted you during that time as He continues to do. No doubt Chandler is smiling on these five people right now too. What a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete