Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Dash

I was reading in a Christian magazine today and ran across an article written by the President of Family Choice Funerals & Cremations which is here in Roanoke, VA.  Here is a small part of what he wrote:

"In virtually every cemetery there are stones and markers that depict similar messages.  The name of the person, their date of birth and date of death is displayed.  Sometimes there are other inscriptions like a scripture verse, military service or other brief reference to their life.  But the scarcely noticed dash between the date of birth and the date of death is the real story.  So what is your dash?"

So, I started to think about Chandler.  We actually got word today that his marker was placed at the grave today.  I haven't seen it yet.  It's just a small marker with his name and dates on it right now.  We'll be getting a larger one soon.  It was just too hard to do all of that planning so soon after his death.  Anyway, I was trying to visualize his marker, his name, the dates and the dash. 

Even though Chandler was only 16 years old, I can say that he made the best of his "dash".  He was the perfect, son, brother, grandson, nephew, cousin & friend.  He loved the Lord and wasn't afraid for people to know that.  He enjoyed life.  He brought joy and laughter to whatever he did.  He was a hard worker.  I've ran across things in his room that he had written such as answers to some of the Bible studies he did in church.  He knew the gospel and he believed it.

In 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, it says:  "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.  No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

I know that Chandler ran the race.  He did it with the goal in mind to get the prize and now he has it.  He's earned the prize.  He's spending his days with the Lord.  I'm so thankful that I can know that.

Chandler has been a huge inspiration for me.  I'm going to run my race in order to get the prize.  Through the pain, brokenness, tears, heartache, I'm going to continue to run.  I am going to pray, study the Word, and seek to find joy in the hope that I have of one day reaching that prize.  I want others to look at my dash on my tombstone and see a great dash just like I see in Chandler's.

Someone shared the following poem with me so I thought it would be fitting to put it here:

"The Dash Poem" by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end.


He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.


So think about this long and hard
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.


If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.


And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.


If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how your spent your dash?



Linda Ellis c1996

No comments:

Post a Comment