Thursday, March 3, 2011

Trip to Alabama

I got up yesterday morning to get ready for us to leave and travel to Alabama to see my family.  Things were busy as I was getting ready so there wasn't a lot of time to think.  All of the luggage was in the car.  Chad and the kids were in the car ready to drive off.  I was still in the house and had one more thing to do before leaving and it hit me.  The house was quiet and I knew we were getting ready to pull out and head to Bama without Chandler.  So, the tears fell.  I got in the car and as we drove down the road, I couldn't help but cry thinking of how much I missed Chandler and how badly I wanted him here to make the trip with us.

We stopped for lunch at Cracker Barrel in Tennessee.  A few times the conversation was about Chandler.  One time we were talking about the movie Despicable Me.  It's an animated kid's movie.  Although, I wouldn't say it's just for kids.  Chad has watched the movie about 7 times now over a short period of time.  He laughs so hard at that movie.  So, we were talking about the movie and I said something about wishing that Chandler had gotten to see the movie.  Steve Carrell (one of Chandler's favorite actors) is the voice of the main character.  Chandler would have really appreciated the humor in that movie.  So, as I started talking about that, I started to cry right there at the table at Cracker Barrel.  Chad shared with me that I shouldn't think that Chandler is missing out on great things by not being here.  Being in heaven, he is not missing a funny movie.  He's not missing out on fun things we might think we're doing.  He's in heaven.  There is no comparison.  I know that.  I know he's in a great place.  But, I want him here with me.  When I'm watching a movie with one of his favorite actors in it, I want to share that with him.  I want to hear his laughter.  When I'm visiting family in Alabama, I want to share that with him.  Everything is just so different and hard!

After lunch, we continued our road trip.  We arrived about 3:45.  Brandi (my sister) and her kids were driving to our parents house at the same time.  She hadn't told the kids that we were coming so it was going to be a surprise.  We got to my parents house about 5 minutes before she arrived.  She pulled into the driveway and we were all standing out side with huge smiles on our faces, waving at them.  The kids were so surprised to see us.  They got out of the car and I went over and gave Cade and Connor the biggest hugs.  Tears filled my eyes but I tried to be good and not lose it because I didn't want to upset the kids.  Then I went and loved on my sweet, beautiful niece.  The kids immediately started playing and enjoyed their time together yesterday.

I put away our stuff in our bedrooms and got somewhat organized.  Mama came in my room for something and saw that I had brought a picture of Chandler in a frame to put on my dresser while I'm here.  So, we had a little cry and talked about him for a while.  Granny and daddy came in too and saw the picture and shared in the sadness.

I looked out at the kids playing yesterday and missed seeing Chandler with them.  We were eating dinner last night and Chandler wasn't there.  We were downstairs with Caleb last night showing him where some snacks and things were for his late night eating.  My parents have a finished room downstairs with a large flat screen TV.  That's where Chandler and Caleb sleep.  It's their "man cave".  But, I realized last night that Caleb would be down there alone.  He's okay with that but I'm not.  They love hanging out down there, watching movies and staying up late. 

So, we made it through our first day here.  I know that people were praying for us.  I could tell and I'm so appreciative of that.  It truly helps me get through the days.

Lord, thank you for safe travel.  Thank you for your comfort and help in getting us through the day.  Thank you for blessing me with such a wonderful, loving and supportive family.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment