Sunday, November 13, 2011

Remembering Chandler



It was one year ago today that I got that horrible phone call.  I know exactly where I was as if it had just happened.  I'll never forget it.  I was at the mall with Corben & Carlie walking down the aisle in JC Penney's.  I answered the phone and it was Chad.  He informed me that Chandler had been in an accident.  He didn't know details, just that he was being taken to the hospital on an ambulance.  Of course, a little later, we found out that he was being airlifted.  When I received that phone call, my heart just sank.  Naturally, my mind started to wonder what was wrong with him.  How bad was he?  Maybe he just had some broken bones.  Little did I know that on that day our lives would be changed forever. 

Today, we had some friends who wanted to do something with us to celebrate Chandler.  Chandler had and still has some amazing friends.  The neat thing is that Chandler's friends have parents who are our friends.  So, some of Chandler's closest friends and their families met us at the grave today.  When we got there, we all waited together in the parking lot until everyone showed up.  They brought some balloons and we wrote notes on them.  Then, we all walked over to Chandler's grave.  I had brought a picture of Chandler with me so I placed it on the grave so that we would all be able to look at him.  We started out by letting those that were interested share some things about Chandler; things they loved about him or remembered.  After the sharing time, we all released our balloons together and while we released them we said together "in the hands of God."  We stood for a few minutes just watching those balloons fly off.  After that, they had the men gather around Chad, the women gathered around me, the teens were with Caleb and the younger kids were with Corben & Carlie.  Then, each group prayed for us.  Yes, even the little kids.   They were 10 years old and under.  Those young kids stood with Corben and Carlie and prayed for them.  Amazing!  The loss of Chandler hasn't just affected our family.  It has affected so many other people.  Some of those affected by it have been Chandler's friends.  So, each husband and wife couple grabbed a child who was not their own and prayed for them.  After that, we stood around a few minutes.  As I looked around at all of Chandlers/our friends standing at Chandler's grave, it just hit me how blessed we are.  We have so many great friends.  Genuine friends!  Friends who truly love our family.  These friends were willing to take some of their Sunday and spend it at the grave with us.  These are just a handful of friends who have tried their hardest to help us get through this horrible year.  And, I know that they will continue to be there for us in the days ahead.  They planned this day for us and they did an incredible job.  I really hope that Chandler felt the love today.  I know I did!  The love these families have for Chandler and the rest of our family is a huge blessing.  I am so thankful for each and every one of them. 

After visiting together at the grave, there was only one other thing we could do.  We all went to eat together and of course, it had to be Mexican!  Chandler wouldn't have it any other way!!


To the McKinney, Leet, Goad, Smith and Eanes family:  We love you!!

1 comment:

  1. God's love is made manifest in the heart of a true friend. Let them surround you with the comfort of a loving God. This was a truly humbling thing for me, to accept comfort from others, but it has proved to be one of God's greatest gifts to me through my own tragic loss.

    ReplyDelete